Two people sitting at a table with a calculator and paperwork.

What To Do When An Ex Misses Support Payments

For many divorced parents, child support is vital in ensuring that their children receive appropriate financial care. Without the additional source of revenue, it can become challenging for parents to aplty provide for their children. However, there are things you can do when an ex misses a support payment. Bobby Dale Barina, Attorney At Law can help guide you through the best course of action.

Discuss Things With Your Ex

This can be challenging for some individuals. In fact, it is not always plausible for someone to contact their ex, especially if they were violent or abusive. But if it is at all possible to communicate with them, it can immensely help in obtaining missed support payments. It could be possible that they have gone through a substantial change of circumstances that ultimately impacted their ability to pay support. If that is the case, you can work on a repayment plan or alternative form of payment.

Adjust Your Budget

In the time that you are not receiving payments, it will be important to make adjustments so you can still provide your children with the care they need. This may mean cutting expenses or reaching out to other family members for assistance if necessary.

Find a Lawyer to Discuss Options

If your ex is not making amends or demonstrating an effort to make payments, then it is crucial to speak with an experienced attorney. They will be able to discuss what options you have in obtaining support payments from your ex. For example, they may write a letter of warning to your ex requesting payment. If absolutely necessary, they can help you prepare your case and take it to court.

Bobby Dale Barina, Attorney At Law Can Provide The Help You Need

When undergoing child support issues, an attorney can be immensely helpful. The team at Bobby Dale Barina, Attorney At Law can review the details of your case and find out the best route in obtaining missed payments.

If you have questions concerning child support payments, call our office at (254) 523-4446 to schedule a consultation!